Thursday, August 25, 2011

Books You Hide From Your Mother

I have several upcoming reviews, but I’m feeling a little lightheaded from all the teaching and blogging this week, so I thought I’d talk a bit about guilty pleasure reading since that is, after all, the reason I started this blog. Let’s just say that one of the reasons I love my Kindle is that I can read anything, yes, ANYTHING, in the presence of my mother and not have to explain the smexy cover. I live a looooong way from the parental units, so I don’t have to worry about unannounced visits, but there are some books I would have to hide behind the books of literary criticism so they won’t think I’m reading smut or, my favorite term, “romantic schlock.” (Although I think the blog has given away the “romantic schlock” bit. Oops.)
I don’t have to worry about this when friends come to visit, because I keep all the impressive tomes from graduate school downstairs. Complete works of William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and Gabriel García Márquez? Downstairs, front and center. Yes, dear visitors, I am well read! And my reading is multi-cultural! All my trashy paperbacks are safely hidden upstairs in my office, and I keep the door shut when people visit. Although that’s not necessarily to keep my reading tastes secret but rather to hide the mounds of lesson plans and old tests that have never been filed in the great circular file in the sky. I also tend to pull out the impressive cookbooks in the kitchen, although any savvy gourmand would notice that my food processor is shoved into the back and covered in dust.
The one book I absolutely hide from the parents is not really a romance, or even fiction, although it can lead to some smexy times! It’s Sadie Allison’s Ride ‘Em Cowgirl! Sex Position Secrets to Better Bucking. Yes, it’s a sex guide (hides face). But it has really funny pictures! Hee hee hee…
So, are there any books you hide from the parents or visitors to the house? Let me know - Confession is good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment